Key Stage 2 Comprehension provides a unique collection of differentiated and stimulating texts that appeal strongly to both boys and girls, together with questions that both build and stretch comprehension skills and widen vocabulary. Comprising four one-per-child activity books and providing more than 72 texts in total, the series encourages children to pay close attention to literal meaning, make inferences and deductions, observe how writing is structured and identify literary devices.
Book 4 reflects the broadening interests and word power of young people who will soon move to secondary school, or have now done so. It includes:
non-fiction texts covering the discovery in Russia of a long-extinct mammoth/shells and their origins/the life of explorer Robert Scott
- the poignant ‘last letter’ from Scott to his widow
- classic poetry from Rudyard Kipling/Edward Thomas/Edward Lear/William Wordsworth
- a short extract from the play ‘Hamlet’ by William Shakespeare
- riveting fiction from R.L. Stevenson/Thomas Hardy/Daniel Defoe/Charles Dickens
- absorbing autobiographies and biographical fiction from Roald Dahl and Alison Prince.